Open/Close Menu ACC Malta immigration specialises in investment migration in Malta

The Malta Individual Investor Programme Agency (MIIPA) is no longer accepting new applications under the Malta Individual Investor Programme (MIIP). Applicants interested in applying for Maltese Citizenship through Direct Investment may submit an application under the Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations (L.N. 437 of 2020)

Malta Citizenship by Investment: Eligibility

The Malta Citizenship by Investment Programme, also known as the MIIP – Malta Individual Investor Programme – is one of the most popular Citizenship by Investment programme in Europe, as it grants countless benefits. Indeed, becoming a Maltese citizen through investment gives you the opportunity to travel freely to more than 166 countries – including USA and Canada – without having to apply for any VISA. This differes from applying for a Residence VISA solely, as that gives you the chance to travel freely in the Schengen area only – which does not include UK and Ireland.

Would you like to speak to our Citizenship by investment lawyers? Get in touch with us.

Who can apply for the Citizenship by Investment Programme?

The Maltese law provides a detailed list of the minimum eligibility criteria to apply for the Citizenship by Investment Program. And it goes further into describing who falls into the ‘ineligible applicants’ category. Below the qualifications and general requirements for the Maltese citizenship.

Applicants need to be at least 18

The main applicant for the Malta Citizenship by Investment Programme must be at least 18 years of age at the time he/she applies.

‘Fit and Proper Test’ for the Malta IIP applicants

It is essential for applicants to demonstrate a clean criminal record which is to be verified with the International Criminal Court, INTERPOL and other authorities. Due diligence of the highest standard is undertaken by the Government of Malta to ensure that only deserving and reputable applicants are allowed to proceed for the grant of Maltese Citizenship.

Applicants of the Malta IIP need to be in good health

Applicants must be free of contagious diseases or health conditions which could considerably burden the Maltese health system.

Property Purchase or Rental

A main requisite for the applicants of the Malta Citizenship by Investment Programme is to invest in a property in Malta. Applicants have two options:

  • Purchase a property with a minimum value of €350,000
  • Enter a property rental contract with a minimum value of €16,000 p.a, both on five year contracts.

Contribution to the National Development & Social Fund

The main applicant will be required to contribute a minimum of €650,000 to Malta in order to qualify for Maltese citizenship by investment. 70% of this contribution goes into a fund set up by the Government of Malta which is managed by a board of trustees. The other 30% will go to the consolidated fund.

Dependants of the main applicant, including the spouse, children, parents and grandparents are also eligible for Malta Citizenship. The spouse and children of the applicant are required to contribute €25,000. Unmarried children between 18 and 26, as well as dependent parents of the main applicant must contribute €50,000 each.

Investment in Bonds/Shares

Applicants will also be required to invest at least €150,000 in Government approved bonds/ shares from time to time which are to be kept for 5 years.

Genuine Link for the main applicant of a MIIP

The main applicant is required to demonstrate a genuine link with Malta which includes periods of physical residence in Malta. Your Approved Agents can obtain advance written approval from Identity Malta of their client’s proposed links. Prior to the granting of citizenship, applicants must have held a residence card for at least 12 months.

Malta Individual Investor Programme Ineligibile Criteria

The Maltese law lists all the causes for which citizenship under the programme will not be provide

  • Applicant to the Malta IIP has criminal record
  • Applicant to the Malta IIP is the subject of a criminal investigation
  • Applicant to the Malta IIP is a potential threat for the security of the natione
  • Applicant to the Malta IIP is involved in an activity which could cause disrepute to Malta
  • Applicant to the Malta IIP has been denied a VISA to one of the countries which Malta has visa-free travel

Get in touch with our team of lawyers specialised in the Malta Citizenship by Investment Programme


© 2022 ACC Advisors Ltd. Malta Immigration. Privacy Terms.

made by BRAB